I know a lot of people who have rejected Jesus.
Truth be told this has nothing to do with Jesus. They’ve rejected Him because of His followers.
You see people reject Jesus most often because the people who are “representing” Him have also rejected Jesus – they just don’t know it!
Here are a few ways we misrepresent Jesus:
- We preach Jesus but hate the world.
- We preach Jesus but mix law and grace.
- We preach Jesus but support violence as a means to an end.
- “We preach Jesus but choose pride over humility.
- “We preach Jesus but when we get sick our first thought is “where did I put the aspirin?”
- “We preach Jesus but value rules and regulations over relationship.
- “We preach Jesus but choose to be hurt rather than forgive.
- “We preach Jesus but choose to build structures, hierarchies and patriarchies.
- “We preach Jesus but favour one nation over another.
- “We preach Jesus but prioritise prayer meetings and Sunday lunches over the poor and broken.
We all in one way or another reject Jesus in our beliefs and in turn our actions.
- We choose the way of the world rather than the way of the Kingdom.
- We choose to work in our own strength rather than allow the Spirit to work through us.
We need to ask ourselves (or better yet – ask God) daily – “in what ways am I not allowing Christ to work in and through me?”
Because the painful truth is:
I don’t know about you but I’ve probably been guilty of every one of the examples above at some point in my life. Truth be told I’m probably still guilty of one or two!
What are some of the ways you have poorly represented Jesus in your life and what has been the fruit of changing that?