37 Scriptures That Prove Christians Are Not Under The Law

Many Christians give lip service to the fact they live in the New Covenant.

The truth however is that because they fail to realise they are no longer under the law they are really still living in an Old Covenant reality.

Here are 37 scriptures that prove that Christians are not under the law!

Acts

The law is an unbearable yoke. (Acts 15:10)

Romans

The law reveals sin but cannot fix it. (Romans 3:20)

If the law worked then faith would be irrelevant. (Romans 4:14)

The law brings wrath upon those who follow it. (Romans 4:15)

The purpose of the law was to increase sin. (Romans 5:20)

Christians are not under the law. (Romans 6:14)

Christians have been delivered from the law. (Romans 7:1-6)

The law is good, perfect and holy but cannot help you be good, perfect or holy. (Romans 7:7-12)

The law which promises life only brings death through sin. (Romans 7:10)

The law makes you sinful beyond measure. (Romans 7:13)

The law is weak. (Romans 8:2-3)

1 Corinthians

The strength of sin is the law (1 Corinthians 15:56)

2 Corinthians

The law is a ministry of death. (2 Corinthians 3:7)

The law is a ministry of condemnation. (2 Corinthians 3:9)

The law has no glory at all in comparison with the New Covenant. (2 Corinthians 3:10)

The law is fading away. (2 Corinthians 3:11)

Anywhere the law is preached it produces a mind-hardening and a heart-hardening veil. (2 Corinthians 3:14-15)

Galatians

The law justifies nobody. (Galatians 2:16)

Christians are dead to the law. (Galatians 2:19)

The law frustrates grace. (Galatians 2:21)

To go back to the law after embracing faith is “stupid”. (Galatians 3:1)

The law curses all who practice it and fail to do it perfectly. (Galatians 3:10)

The law has nothing to do with faith. (Galatians 3:11-12)

The law was a curse that Christ redeemed us from. (Galatians 3:13)

The law functioned in God’s purpose as a temporary covenant from Moses till John the Baptist announced Christ. (Galatians 3:16 & 19, also see… Matthew 11:12-13, Luke 16:16)

If the law worked God would have used it to save us. (Galatians 3:21)

The law was our prison. (Galatians 3:23)

The law makes you a slave like Hagar. (Galatians 4:24)

Ephesians

Christ has abolished the law which was a wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:15)

Philippians

Paul considered everything the law gained him as “skybalon” which is Greek for “poop”. (Philippians 3:4-8)

1 Timothy

The law is only good if used in the right context. (1 Timothy 1:8) (see next verse for the context)

It was made for the unrighteous but not for the righteous. (1 Timothy 1:9-10)

Hebrews

The law is weak, useless and makes nothing perfect. (Hebrews 7:18-19)

God has found fault with it and created a better covenant, enacted on better promises. (Hebrews 8:7-8)

It is obsolete, growing old and ready to vanish. (Hebrews 8:13)

It is only a shadow of good things to come and will never make someone perfect. (Hebrews 10:1)

Well there you have it… 37 scriptures that make a very convincing arguement.

But…

I can hear your but forming in your mind already…

But what about what Jesus said about the law not passing away?

But what about all the law Jesus reinforced?

But what about the scriptures like 1 Cor 3:11 and Heb 8:13 that make it sound like it’s still kind of relevant?

But what about the fact God gave the law to the people of Israel?

You can find the answers to all these questions and more in this in-depth video:

You might also like this slightly less in-depth but still more comprehensive article:

What’s The Role Of The Law In The New Covenant?

Comments/Questions?

Please leave any thoughts or questions you have in the comments section below.

Please do note though that this is a topic I’ve talked about in great depth here on the website and I will not answer questions that are clearly answered in the video and article above. So please do refer to those first if you have a questions.

I leave for a 12 day ministry trip tomorrow so unfortunately I just don’t have time to have the same discussions over and over :) Thanks for understanding.

Comments

1. says

Hey Phil,
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful scriptures! I just wish everyone would jump on board with God’s free gift of Grace. In your opinion, why do you think so many people still cling to the law despite the overwhelming evidence that we have been freed?

• Phil Drysdale says

haha – yes… I’m sure there are plenty of people who would prefer to live by that list, no matter how short and out of context it is :)

• Phil Drysdale says

I think there are many reasons,

1) Organised religion feels like it has a lot to lose. So they just don’t preach it.
      2) People have lived for so long with the understanding that law helps them be good that they can’t fathom not being under it. They are terrified they will just sin more.
      3) We all love to have a list of things to do. We love to live according to what is right and what is wrong.
      4) Being under the law helps us feel good about ourselves (and unfortunately when we mess up – feel terrible and guilty) It gives us a licence to compare and judge others.

Those are just a few things that come to mind. But there are so many reasons.

• gregg says

This is not correct at all. Where are the countering scriptures? Where is the definition of the parts of the law done away with and those which remain?

• Phil Drysdale says

Gregg – I’d recommend you look at the accompanying resources linked – there is a 2hr video where I go into great detail on segmenting the law and other verses that could be used to argue against my position :) Hope that helps.

2. Lynn says

Phil HI, I appreciate your desire to study the Word of GOD! But in order to come to the knowledge of the truth of scripture, one can not make the Bible to say what it does not say. You used (Romans 5:20 as an example) “The purpose of the law was to increase sin. (NIV)”. BUT – what about the rest of the verses that are connected to that thought? When we make the Bible to say what it does not say – we make GOD into someone HE is NOT! Which gives a FALSE picture of GOD, and makes a god to ones own liking! Another example would be to say that GOD is only LOVE, without saying that HE IS also a JUST GOD!
    We either have to believe that the WORD is Truly of GOD, and is GOD BREATHED as it says in 2Tim 3:16, or it’s NOT. All of GOD’S Word has to be TRUTH ~ or NONE of it “CAN be TRUTH”! GOD does not contradict HIMSELF! We have to value the TRUTH of the Scriptures themselves. If GOD contradicts HIMSELF, then WHAT GOOD IS HIS WORD? How could we trust it? There may seem to be contradicts in scripture, but it is because we either don’t understand what is being said, or our view is skewed by the fact that we don’t have. And that’s not to say that the facts aren’t there! The Word is full of Truths that our eyes have not yet been opend to see! Think about WHOSE mind we are speaking of – GODS’! GOD ALMIGHTY! OUR CREATOR! Can we obtain to HIS thinking? Can we come to the Knowledge that GOD posses? Scripture is Revealed to us by the SPIRIT OF GOD, we need the SPRIT to Reveal to us its Truths. A good rule is to let the Scriptures interpret the Scriptures! Using GOD’S thinking to understand GOD and GOD’S way!
    So how do we begin? We should begin by asking questions of the Scriptures themselves, to SEE What the Scriptures are saying, and to KEEP the Scriptures in their CORRECT CONTEXT – questions like – What did GOD say? What did GOD mean by WHAT He said? Who is speaking? Who is being spoken to? And so on – A Biblical Truth for the most part – is not held within one verse of Scripture.
    A few years ago I leaned that the word “context” comes from a Latin word meaning – “to weave”. And so BEFORE we can understand a verse in the Bible, we must first see what it is woven together with. And BEFORE we can arrive at a correct interpretation of the verse, we must see what the surrounding verses are talking about, both before and after the verse. Remembering that, “Context is the first rule of Interpretation.” If we take a thought out of its context, then we are making it say what we want it to say, and NOT what it SAYS.

The Latin word for “weave” is texere, we can see in that root word, words like textiles. The image of the word “context” is that of a piece of fabric with a single thread lifted out of the fabric, thus distorting the fabric, and leaving the fabric in a weakened state. We are NOT at liberty to isolate ANY verses of Scripture and attach our own meaning to them without considering the entire text of words among which they are woven – the context.
    I pray that you do not take offense but rather seek the SPIRIT OF GOD to help you understand the Word of GOD! May GOD BLESS YOU IN YOUR STUDY OF HIS HOLY WORD! I have found that it is best to study one Book of the Bible at a time! Here is a web site that may help you on how to study the Bible – http://www.intothyword.org/pages.asp?pageid=53488

• Phil Drysdale says

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I assure you I know the context of each of those scriptures inside and out and I’m quite happy with the way I’ve quoted them in this passage. I would not have quoted them in this manner if I hadn’t been sure of their context.

I would encourage you to listen to message I included. I frequently use the scripture to interpret the scripture and appreciate your value for such a means of interpretation :)

Bless you my friend.

• Kory says

Phil, so you are saying you have nothing to learn you know it all ??..Bible says that is a dangerous way of thinking ..I to see you twist things to fit your point .

• Phil Drysdale says

I wasn’t aware I said I know it all. I certainly don’t intend to claim to. As for your perception that I twist things to fit my point, I cannot answer that. Your perception is yours and if you do not see things my way then you do not see things my way. I feel the scriptures are overwhelmingly clear in this matter and I’ve presented what I feel to be the truth. You are welcome to write a blog somewhere else proving otherwise if you so wish. :)

• says

Lynn, how are you doing? And you Phil.

Truly what Lynn said is mouthful, and at the same time I’m to see that you Phil had been open to comments, and to respond to Lynn.

There’s so much that could be said with regards to the verses you mentioned. The title of these article says, “scriptures that prove Christians are not under the law” which is a power title. I guess the phrase “we are not under the law” which is used by Paul had to be explained by the Bible or Paul himself. When he says we are not under the law, is he meaning that WE ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THE LAW, in other words THE LAW DOES NOT BIND ON US? Or does he mean something else? Surely Paul answers this question for, but I’m not gonna deal with that. But I would like to say that I respect your thought of thinking, and at the same time, I feel that our primary motive should not be to bash or merely to prove a point when sharing God’s word, but to lead each other to Jesus.

Each passage has its context, if we flip the coin and start considering verses like Romans 2:13; Romans 3:31; Romans 8:7; etc. It would be as Paul speaks on both sides of his mouth. Grace does not nullify the law; like Lynn said God is not only merciful but also just. Going through each text and discussing all these verses with you might take, but what I would say is that look at each text carefully and think of the implication. For example,

You mentioned:
      – “Christians have been delivered from the law. (Romans 7:1-6).”
      How does the idea that Christians have been freed from the law fit with Matthew 5:17; Rev.14:12, etc.
      – “The law which promises life only brings death through sin. (Romans 7:10)”,is Paul saying there’s anything wrong with the law or is he blaming sin in him – look at verse 9, and compare verse 10 where he says the law ordained for life brought death to him with verse 13, and see if the law is the cause of death or if the “transgression of the law” called “sin” – 1 John 3:4 is what is the cause of death. In short, Paul was at peace with his sin until he came across the law that found sin in him and pronounced death decree. Then he goes on to show that there’s nothing wrong with the law, but what’s wrong is sin in him. In other words, law pronouces life to those who keep it and death to those who violate it. Hence Paul says this law is ordained to life but when it came across him, sin revived and he died. We could talking but please check to see if there’s truth to what I’m saying.
      Keep checking my blog as I’m gonna be going through the study of the law soon (hopefully somewhere during this year 2015):

• judith says

Dear leroy , a debt that is paid is no longer a debt. A law that has been fufilled is no longer binding, jesus has fufilled the law for everyone that believe. As far as believers are concerned they are dead to the law, because the law is not binding on a dead man . we as christians have died with christ.

• Pastor ric says

sir to say that Christian are under the law is to discredit the cross of Jesus, the word of God not men said, ” if righteousness came through the LAW then Christ has died in vain. this why he is called Savior, without Jesus fulfilling the law according to Matthews chapter 5 you would have to fulfill all the law and not just the 10 commandments read all of Galatians and stop going off traditions of men. do not discredit the cross of Christ. Yes Jesus said he did not come to abolish the law JESUS said and again not mans tradition Jesus said he came to Fulfill it, again that is bible. its said believers still dont get this revelation

3. Jeff Hewitt says

i am not sure I understand the battle you seem to be fighting? If we consider what the Jewish people did as the law was given (the sin of the golden calf) and the fact that they are still here with us today it is obvious that grace and the law abide together. The Jews have always understood repentance and have continually experienced forgiveness. You say you believe as the appostles did but then all your quotes are by Paul. when we read through the scriptures besides the ones written by Paul we come to understand that God’s grace is present throughout the entirety of the bible.

Our redemption is by grace but what does Paul continue on to say in chapter two of Ephesians? For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works. James tells us what good works are in chapter two of his letter: If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? So is your arguement against works? Please consider that they are both essential and that they can coexist in our lives.

Let me offer a better way for people to consider the law. The law defines how we relate to God and to others. In other words; it is a definition of relationship. How do we have a relationship with God? Whatever you do to the least of my brothers; that you do unto me. When we perform good works we are united with God; we are one with Him. That is why the Pssalmist said: the law of the Lord is perfect restoring the soul. We do not need to fight against the law, we need to embrace it for it is good.

• Phil Drysdale says

Jeff – I’ve said nothing against good works and I have lots to promote bearing good fruit in ones life on this website. If you had watched the video I think you would have much more context for what I’m talking about… I am of course trying to help people produce fruit by helping them understand that grace produces good fruit and the law doesn’t.

My argument is against works in our own effort as motivated by the law.

Law always brings an increase to sin.

It’s important that we understand that the change in covenants did change things.

While the law and grace coexisted in the OT (although grace was only really tasted by a few who believed God beyond what they had been taught was possible) the law cannot exist in the NT. It has ceased to exist as of 70AD and we are in a new covenant of pure, undiluted grace. A covenant of bearing much fruit as we abide in Jesus and let the Spirit bring forth His fruit not ours.

Hope that helps clarify – as I said the video will really help you see what I’m saying.

• says

Hello Phil. I surely feel that this topic requires a careful study.You stated “law cannot exist in the NT”, that violates Matt.5:17-19. Paul states that the New Covenant is about God writing the law in the heart. And that proves that New covenant is based on the law. Let’s not divorce new covenant from the law. In both covenants no flesh could be saved by the deeds of the law, for Paul says the law serves the purpose of convicting the sinner. Grace servesbthe purpose of forging the sinner. If the sinner is not exposed to the law, they would not repent because the law is what exposes sin. If the sinner sees their sin and not receive the gift of grace, they are also lost. Both are essential, and both have their places. Grace without the law is impossible, because grace is only given to law breakers. If there’s no law, there’s no sin, if there’s no sin, there’s no need for grace.

• Tim says

Hi Leroy. Believing that the New Testament started in Matthew may be a large part of why you don’t understand that we are free from the law. If we are not free of the law then the death of Jesus on the cross was in vain. Just believe the bible as it’s written without allowing your flesh to feed there. I can’t judge a mans heart, that is only for God, but if you are depending on your own righteousness instead of His, you are likely making a huge mistake. Please read and study the 37 scriptures above. What you are believing is a false gospel as described in Galatians.

• IAN BAARD says

Roy E Richmond
      5 minutes ago near Oklahoma City, OK, United States ·
      If one would read the Epistle of James slowly and deliberately, and not from the assumption of what he or she has been taught. He or she will see that James was still wanting circumcision for people. He talked much about works and law. If you are interested, go to my web page, and listen to the last three messages Dr. Butch Hodge taught at our fellowship. It is an eye opener. Not saying James was not important, but he like the rest of the disciples did not yet draw from the spirit within to learn of the redemptive work of Jesus Christ and what that meant to all mankind. At that time, only Paul did, and later it was revealed to John the revelator. The others were still debating about circumcision. Thus the reason Paul wrote to the Community of Believers in Galatia, in a quantitative way – meaning “discussing an issue of circumcision and solving the problem. We have been taught many things from the Bible that might not be true. It is time to get into the truth. Just like the political systems of this earth being corrupt, and the others, it is highly likely the much of the religious systems have been corrupted away from the simplicity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I finished translating the letter to the Community of Believers in Galatia, and going to start on James next.

• says

Hello Roy. You said, “he like the rest of the disciples did not yet draw from the spirit within to learn of the redemptive work of Jesus Christ and what that meant to all mankind”, if your statement is true, then James was not inspired by the Holy Spirit to pen down what he wrote. Which means some or all of the things he said reveal his lack of the knowledge of grace. Therefore his teachings could be partially accpected, or totally rejected. If Paul is write when he says “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God” , then I would advice you to reconsider your statement.

• Robert Green says

Hi there Leroy
          If you read the first verse of James it was address to the twelve tribes, he is not addresses gentiles. The book of James was written in 40AD , if you read Acts 15 when they are disputing the doctrinal differences , they later agree that it was grace alone in Jesus Christ
          Acts 15.10-11Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
          James was also present and this was written 53-54 AD nearly 15 years after the book of James was written. As gentiles our doctrine comes from Paul, the gospels were for the Jews under the law. It is not until the shed blood of a testator after his death can there be a New Testament (Hebrews 9.15-18)
          Romans 15.8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers
          Acts 10.36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

Matthew 10.5-6 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Matthew 15.24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Acts 9.15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
          Romans 11.13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
          Romans 15.16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

Galations 1.12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

I pray this has helped you understand, pray over it and ask the Lord .

2 Timothy 2.15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

4. Mark Dyar says

You kinda poked the hive with this one, Phil. Some just can’t take “yes” for an answer. They want to hang onto their dead works because at the heart of the religious spirit is the desire to create our own redemption.

• Phil Drysdale says

You hit the nail on the head with that Mark! Couldn’t have put it better… “at the heart of the religious spirit is the desire to create our own redemption”

5. Suzanne Gallagher says

The Law of Moses was only given to the nation of Israel anyway and it was meant to be in force only until the Promised Child, Jesus [Galatians 3:19 (NLT)
    Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins. But the law was designed to last ONLY [caps mine]until the coming of the child who was promised.
    This is so clear one has to have help to misunderstand it!!
    People want to live behind the veil of the law and actually think they can keep it!!
    GRACE BLESSINGS TO YOU PHIL!!!

6. Norma says

After having been a believer since 1976, just in the recent past has the truth of the full extent of God’s GRACE been revealed to me. So many other scriptures are applicable to this understanding. Even the basic II Corinthians 5: 17 ” If any man be ‘in Christ’, he is a new creation, OLD things have passed away ALL things have become NEW. This, I believe has been misunderstood and thus confusing when it’s not made clear what the OLD things are and what the ALL things are that have become new. WE have become ‘new creations’ because of the transforming life of Jesus we now live in as a result of His victorious finished work on the cross. The veil was wrent! The veil is the confinement by the law which separated sinful man from God’s presence. Once sin was paid for in the court room of heaven, the law had no more hold on anyone who by faith agrees with that verdict! The OLD things that had once condemned me was the law of sin and death. That “handwriting of condemnation” was nailed to the cross! And it was there Jesus went on trial in my place and was made guilty so I could go free! The law can no longer condemn me because the trial is over and the Judge has pronounced the verdict – NOT GUILTY! Just like in any court of law, the same case can’t be tried twice. The sentence of death was satisfied to ‘the letter’ – so the law was fulfilled concerning me and my sin The letter killeth, (tHis death on the cross satisfied that) but The Spirit giveth life (the ressurrection) death and the grave having no more power. By the marvelous unmerited GRACE of God,ALL things have become new for me with ‘sin’ out of the way, I have died to self and “put on Christ” Gal. 2:20. The law can no longer condemn me because I am ‘hidden with Christ in God!. Romans 8:1, I have made the great exchange offerred me by my Heavenly Father. Jesus life for mine. His righteousness for my sinfulness. And not only was the payment fully paid, but the promise of the Comfortor has enabled me to now have overcoming power to live according to His direction as I listen for His voice and choose to walk no more after the flesh but according to The Spirit! Jesus our High Priest accepted and continues to accept our perfect sacrifice of the Perfect Lamb. He is not concerned about what we have done or not done, because nothing we could do could save us. He doesn’t even look at us – He checks to see if we have brought an unblemished Lamb as our offering. The law has NO hold on us while we are hidden “In Him!”

• Phil Drysdale says

Thanks for sharing Norma, yes those scriptures I shared are just the tip of the iceberg of all God has to say of the New Covenant and it’s replacing of the Old.

7. IAN BAARD says

excellent~word~
    1}~ Exd 34:25
    “You { shall not }~offer the blood of { My sacrifice }~{Christ`s }~with leaven, { Biblical definition of Leaven }~ Mat 16:12………nor shall the sacrifice of the Feast of the Passover be left until morning.
    1Cr 5:7
    Therefore purge out the { old leaven, } OLD COVENANT~ of Which the Law is the Hear/Foundation, of it :~that you may be { a new lump, }~since>>> you truly are { unleavened.<<< For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.<<<<
    Exd 12:19
    ‘For seven days<Means ALL the Time } no leaven shall be found {in your houses } We Are The House Now~, since whoever eats what is leavened, that same person shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is a stranger or a native of the land.< FITS WITH GAL:~5 :4
    Lev 2:11 {Christ Our Sacrifice that we Bring/offer to the Father}
    ‘No grain offering which you bring to the LORD shall be made with leaven, for you shall burn no leaven nor any honey in any offering to the LORD made by fire.
    Deu 16:4
    “And no leaven shall be seen among you in all your territory for seven days, nor shall any of the meat which you sacrifice the first day at twilight remain overnight until morning.
    Mat 16:11
    “How is it you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread?—but to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
    Mat 16:12
    Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
    Mar 8:15
    Then He charged them, saying, “Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod.”
    Luk 12:1
    In the meantime, when an innumerable multitude of people had gathered together, so that they trampled one another, He began to say to His disciples first of all, “Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

• m pankey says

So why is Paul telling us to keep the Feast, God’s Feast, not the Jewish Feast, of Unleavened Bread in verse 8, since that is part of the law, which according to you has been done away with? Paul obviously penned this many years after it was nailed to the cross with our Savior.

8. IAN BAARD says

1Cr 5:8
    Therefore let us keep the feast, not with { old leaven, }~{ nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness,} See what it says of the Old Covenants Attitude & Mentality}~~ & What it saysof the New, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. { THIS is a Direct Commandment to PUT Away the Old Covenant What A Lovely Contrast is seen

9. Jeremy says

Phil, as you say in your video I’m tracking with you. I like what you are saying and it makes since. I had some questions though. In your video you mention that Israel asked for the commandments instead of a personal relationship with God out of fear. However, when I read it God gave the commandments they just weren’t written into stone. God still gave them a list of do and do not. With Noah one I the first things God did when he exited the ark was to say look here’s what you do not do here’s what you do. Why did he not just have a personal relationship with Noah. Like I said in the New Testament I see your point very clearly it makes since, but my entire life I’ve been taught differently. I’m trying to wrap my mind around the idea it’s just not happening easily.

• Phil Drysdale says

Hey man – this is a good point you raise and not many people notice the error this video where I actually talk about the wrong verse in exodus specifically… It points to the same thing but is not the first instance.

If you head back a little in the story you can see again the same stubborn, pig-headedness from the Israelites as they ask Moses to ask God what to do.

I’m about to rush out the door but if I get time later (and remember) I’ll try look up the exact passage for you.

10. D Kelleher says

Absolutely! The sleeping are waking. Praise God Not by law but by grace, that’s why religions can’t contain them to laws and doctrine. What The Lord set free is free indeed. To be about Jesus and His KINGDOM the Kingdom of God. Awaken rise up Kingdom people. Amen

11. says

Many of the anti-law verses you quoted were simply condemning the law for people using it as their ONLY source of salvation, refusing to accept faith and the sacrificial death of Jesus also as part of the salvation process. You are also leaving out and totally ignoring MAJOR, MAJOR, terrifying verses such as Matthew 7:23, and 13:41,42 which strictly warn us not to commit anomia. Anomia is the Greek which basically means “an abandonment of Old Testament law keeping.” Part of the Mosaic law consisted of the commands to not put stumbling blocks in front of blind people and to not commit incest and to not remove property landmarks. Those laws are not specifically listed in the NT. Come on now, do you really think those common sense laws that even pagan societies obey, have really been abolished? I strongly recommend that you visit http://TithingHelps.Us that uses simple logic and many different Bible translations in determining which OT laws still need to be obeyed.

• Phil Drysdale says

Hi Anonymous, I read through your site and can’t say I can agree with your conclusion (or the way you get there).

I can only presume you didn’t watch the video either as that addresses the issues you raised. If you are interested in more information on this I have multiple articles and podcasts here on my site or you could watch the video itself which is quite in depth.

As for the verses you quote they may appear to on the surface support your argument (depending on the translation) but require one to ignore both the context and the Greek nuance as evidenced in the multiple translations that don’t connect the statements at all specifically with adherence to the law. Not only that but it removes the historical context of the passage as well (esp. Matt 13).

Ultimately you can choose to pick and choose which laws you like but 2 Cor 3 is extremely clear that no matter how much you want to break up the laws even the 10 commandments are included in that list. There Paul calls the 10 Commandments a ministry of death (v7), condemnation(v9) – one with no glory in comparison to the New Covenant(v10), one that will cease entirely from 70AD onwards (v11) and something that blinds people’s hearts and minds to Jesus. (v14-15)

At the end of the day we can probably perform eisegesis and sling back and forth verses that support our point all day. I’m not personally interested in doing so, so I’m happy to agree to disagree :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Anonymous.

12. David says

It’s funny how so many still resist the beauty of God’s truths being applied IN truth, due to the ego and its temper tantrums LOL. Context is king, yet so many will not let it rule haha. Great teachings Phil, I have used this particular set of scriptures MANY times for myself, but more so for others I try and reason with, on certain forums on Facebook.

Keep up the good work declaring and defending the Grace of our God :-) btw, Hi Ian Baard!!!

13. Greg says

If I tip a waitress by my choice, I am going with what I feel the Spirit wants me to do. If the tip is forced, and just added to my bill, the freedom is taken from me.

If we have a ” Bill of Rights,” the govt will quickly assume those are ALL of our rights, none beyond them. Lincoln said we had “inalienable” rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That is broader and freer than a statutory scheme.

I’m an attorney. I’ve seen people try to live by the law. Let me remind all those who want to live the law of this fact: you can’t.

The law is spiritual. We are carnal. Only grace can save.

14. says

Hey, I’m a friend of Sean Edwards, and he recommended your site. I studied the law question at seminary, and I learned a lot on this issue. Surely the law is useless to save us. I wonder what you think about God’s commandments to Christians though? What is there importance? I’m thinking of Hebrews 12 “without holiness no one will see the Lord.” And I’m thinking about the warnings that many people will not be I heaven. I understand that you have more content than just this post. I’ve only read this post so far. I’d love to hear any thoughts though. Have you followed the discussion about anti-nomianism surrounding Tullian Tjvijidian (?) and The Gospel Coalition?

15. Piet says

So refreshing . Sounds like Joy to the world the Lord has come . Sounds like this is available to all all all people . There is the Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world .
    I like Rom 5v17 It is how well we receive that will determine how well we will reign in life.
    For if by one man’s offense death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Sin is only a problem if you are under law . When you come under grace and grow in grace sin looses its grip on you Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

God gave such an easy solution even i could be saved and enjoy salvation today .

When Jesus said :”It is finished” it really was finished . One sacrifice for all to experienced by all who believe,

I want to warn all people . If you work at it you cannot have it and once you have it you cannot work to keep it . You must rest to work. You will find like Paul you will work harder than most people yet not you but the grace that is in you will do the works
    1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Thanks you saints

16. Robert Green says

Really good study I’m currently looking into this myself , and 100% agree it is by grace alone. The book of Romans chapter 5 I lose count how many times the word gift is used. Which we are told in
    Ephesian 2.8-9 For by grace we are saved through faith and that NOT of OURSELVES it is the gift of God , not of works lest any man should boast.
    Romans 3.24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    Romans 3.28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
    Galations 2.16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
    Galations 3.24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    Romans 10.4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
    Galations 3.13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
    Colossians 1.29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily
    If we live in the spirit then the Lord will work his goodness through us,
    Philippians 2.13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
    1 Corinthians 15.10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

The bible is for us but not all to us,
    If you read the first verse of James it clearly tells you who he is addressing The Twelve Tribes, and this book was written in 40AD, when you go back to the book of Acts which is transitional from Jews to Gentiles in Chapter 15 when they are disputing the doctrine it was written in 54AD nearly 15 years after the book of James was written and James was present. If you are basing salvation on works aswell as faith thats saying that Christs sacrifice isnt good enough, and you will take it from here. Christ died once for all sin, it is a free gift that is not earned but given. If you believe you have do something doesnt that mean theres two saviours? What does the bible say?

We are told there is only one saviour.
    Isaiah 43.11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Its not look at our self righteousness but by the righteousness of Christ we are saved that we are justified through faith.
    Romans 3.10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one
    Titus 3.5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

We have to realize that while Christ was alive they were still under the law, it is not until the shed blood of a testator after his death can there be a New Testament as it is written.
    Hebrews 9.15- 18 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that wereunder the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
    Exodus 24.8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

The gospels Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are the life, ministry and death of the messiah, and he clearly ministered to the Jews not the gentiles.

We are clearly told Paul is the chosen apostle of the Lord to the gentiles. Our doctrinal basis is from paul.

I hope this helps people please just read Gods word a pray over it , there are many people out there , complicating the gospel , it is salvation from God, a free gift , not earned or worked for, but given to those that believe the gospel washed in the blood of Christ, sealed until redemption , born again, a child of God, given eternal life. There is nothing on your part to do but accept it , God bless

17. Dorothy says

I love the 37 scriptures proving Christians are not under the law! I have one question… You stated that Christians are not under the law… but is not the whole world not under the law? I know that one must believe Jesus and His perfect work and receive it for oneself. So everyone is saved but not everyone is going to heaven. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.” So salvation is available to all mankind but one does not reap the benefit of it until it is personally believed and received.

18. Prince George Mugabo says

Hello

Phil thanks for 37 scriptures!

Amazing truth though to hard for those that have drunk old wine for along time….. Its takes God’s Grace for them to receive New wine
    Luke 5:36_39

Grace all the Way

Phil what is your view about a Christian paying Tithe?

God bless
    Thanks

19. tom king says

I loved what you are about . grace is what Paul said in the Bible ! I have got so many friends that still thank we are under law . it’sso sad iI got the true when I started looking Joseph prince . in 2009 I got many of his books on grace . I’m reading now 100 days of favor it’s so good . I can’t wait to get your book . daddy God bless us all. .

20. Mindy Lou says

Phil, Unfortunately, Many believers today do not understand the in depth meaning of Gods Grace and the full glory of the new covenant. Only God himself through revelation can bring the understanding of grace upon them, It is sad, I’ve realized all this turns into is throwing scripture back and forth. I believe we are gonna see a last harvest and revival soon as we are nearing the time of going home. I pray that truth and Gods Grace becomes strongly relieved in these last days only to increase the Glory that belongs to God.

Comment Policy:Please use your comment to speak life over those you are addressing. Build up rather than tear down. Disagreement is always welcome. Disrespect is not. Such comments will be removed. If you have never commented here before it may take up to 24hrs for your comment to appear.

What do you think? Leave a comment…